Within easy driving distance of Fernwood are the shopping centres of Shrewsbury and Chester, where modern malls and a full range of high street shops rub shoulders with an unusual collection of antique, craft and second-hand book shops - hunt out a bargain to take back home.
Shrewsbury is a Britain in Bloom winner and lives up to its "Town of Flowers" title with an annual Flower Show held in Shrewsbury's Dingle in August.
There are many glorious gardens close by, be they grand, formal, intimate or unusual. Among them, Wollerton Old Hall Garden, Market Drayton. A stunning 4 acre garden, the range of plants is very wide resulting in significant collections of clematis, salvias, phlox and roses. With a tea room and plant nursery on site, a whole day can be spent exploring these beautiful gardens.
National Trust properties Chirk Castle, Powys. Completed in 1310, Chirk is the last Welsh castle from the reign of Edward I still lived in today. Features from its 700 years include the medieval tower and dungeon, 17th-century Long Gallery, grand 18th-century state apartments, servants' hall and historic laundry. With award winning gardens.
The town of Ellesmere has a variety of antique and gift shops, and traditional inns. Regular antique markets and festivals are held throughout the year.
The mere at Ellesmere is the largest of the nine meres. These lakes are a focus for a variety of pastimes and have been designated Sites of Special Scientific Interest. They are ideal for bird watching. On the mere island at Ellesmere is a heronry. The mere attracts a great wealth of birdlife ranging from tiny goldcrests flitting through the tree branches to magnificent mute swans gliding gracefully across the water.
A relaxing way of enjoying the countryside is from a canal narrowboat which can be hired from several points along the canal system. Within walking distance is the delightful Shropshire Union Canal - the surviving evidence of Shropshire's industrial heritage - just watching the boats pass by is almost as relaxing as being on one.
Local Events 2019
- Plant Hunters Fair at Alderford Lake - 17th March
- Plant Hunters Fair at Whittington Castle - 19th April
- Bus Types VW Show at Oswestry Showground - 19th to 21st April
- A Day Out with Thomas on Llangollen Railway - 26th to 28th April
- Shrewsbury Cartoon Festival at The Square - 27th April
- Plant Fiar at Batterfield 1403 - 27th April
- Shropshire Kids Festival at the Quarry, Shrewsbury - 11th to 12th May
- Oteley Open Garden for NGS - 12th May
- Shropshire Country Agricultural Show at Shrewsbury Showground - 25th May
- Paddington on Llangollen Railway - 25th May
- Outdoor Production (Shakespeare 'Much Ado About Nothing') at Whittington Castle - 26th May
- Derwen Summer Fete - 30th May
- Oswestry Dog Show at the Bailey Head - 8th June
- Antiques and Collectors Fair at Oswestry Showground - 7th to 9th June
- RAF Cosford Air Show - 9th June
- Shrewsbury Carnival - 15th June
- Ellesmere Food and Drink Festival - 15th to 16th June
- Vintage Vehicle, Machinery Rally and Craft Show, Oswestry - 15th to 16th June
- Shrewsbury Food Festival - 29th to 30th June
- Llangollen Eisteddfod - 1st to 7th July
- Shropshire Family Vintage Show at Shrewsbury Showground - 6th to 7th July
- Let's Rock Shrewsbury at the Quarry, Shrewsbury - 13th July
- Oswestry Food & Drink Festival - 13th to 14th July
- Transport Rally at the British Ironwork Centre - 14th July
- Burwarton Show - 1st August
- Oswestry Show - 3rd August
- Shrewsbury Flower Show at the Quarry, Shrewsbury - 9th to 10th August
- A Day Out with Thomas on Llangollen Railway - 9th to 11th August
- Shrewsbury Folk Festival - 23rd to 26th August
- Ellesmere Carnival - 24th August
- Hot Air Balloon Carnival at Cae Glass Park, Oswestry - 24th to 25th August
- Outdoor Production (A Midsummer Night's Dream) at Alderford Lake - 30th August
- Antiques and Collectors Fair at Oswestry Showground - 30th August to 1st September
- Living History Weekend at Whittington Castle - 31st August to 1st September
- Wem Carnival - 7th September
- Ludlow Food Festival - 13th to 15th September
- Midlands Game Fair at Weston Park - 14th to 15th September
- Oktoberfest at the Quarry, Shrewsbury - 4th to 5th October
- Llangollen Food Festival - 19th to 20th October
- A Day Out with Thomas on the Llangollen Railway - 24th to 26th October
- Bonfire and Fireworks at Alderford Lake - 2nd November