Within easy driving distance of Fernwood are the shopping centres of Shrewsbury and Chester, where modern malls and a full range of high street shops rub shoulders with an unusual collection of antique, craft and second-hand book shops - hunt out a bargain to take back home.
Shrewsbury is a Britain in Bloom winner and lives up to its "Town of Flowers" title with an annual Flower Show held in Shrewsbury's Dingle in August.
There are many glorious gardens close by, be they grand, formal, intimate or unusual. Among them, Wollerton Old Hall Garden, Market Drayton. A stunning 4 acre garden, the range of plants is very wide resulting in significant collections of clematis, salvias, phlox and roses. With a tea room and plant nursery on site, a whole day can be spent exploring these beautiful gardens.
National Trust properties Chirk Castle, Powys. Completed in 1310, Chirk is the last Welsh castle from the reign of Edward I still lived in today. Features from its 700 years include the medieval tower and dungeon, 17th-century Long Gallery, grand 18th-century state apartments, servants' hall and historic laundry. With award winning gardens.
The town of Ellesmere has a variety of antique and gift shops, and traditional inns. Regular antique markets and festivals are held throughout the year.
The mere at Ellesmere is the largest of the nine meres. These lakes are a focus for a variety of pastimes and have been designated Sites of Special Scientific Interest. They are ideal for bird watching. On the mere island at Ellesmere is a heronry. The mere attracts a great wealth of birdlife ranging from tiny goldcrests flitting through the tree branches to magnificent mute swans gliding gracefully across the water.
A relaxing way of enjoying the countryside is from a canal narrowboat which can be hired from several points along the canal system. Within walking distance is the delightful Shropshire Union Canal - the surviving evidence of Shropshire's industrial heritage - just watching the boats pass by is almost as relaxing as being on one.
Local Events 2017
- Plant Hunters Fair @ Dearnford Lake - 19th March
- Napoleonic Riflemen @ Whittington Castle - 24th/25th/26th March
- The Big Busk in Shrewsbury Town Centre - 1st April
- Bus Types VW Show @ Oswestry Showground - 14th April
- Plant Hunters Fair @ Whittington Castle - 14th April
- Cadbury Easter Trail @ Chirk Castle - 14th to 17th April
- A Day Out with Thomas on Llangollen Railway - 21st/22nd/23rd April
- Antiques & Collectors Fair @ Oswestry Showground - 22nd/23rd April
- Oswestry Half Marathon & Family Fun Day @ British Ironwork Centre - 30th April
- Welshampton Plant Fair - 1st May
- Shropshire County Agricultural Show @ Shrewsbury Showground - 27th May
- Outdoor Production (Shakespeare's 'The Merry Wives of Windsor') @ Whittington Castle - 28th May
- Derwen Summer Fete - 1st June
- Knights & Princesses Weekend @ Chirk Castle - 3rd/4th June
- Antiques & Collectors Fair @ Oswestry Showground - 10th June
- Bob Jones Memorial Air Show, Welshpool - 11th June
- RAF Cosford Air Show - 11th June
- Shrewsbury Carnival - 17th June
- Ellesmere Food & Drink Festival - 17th/18th June
- Vintage Vehicle, Machinery Rally & Craft Show, Oswestry - 17th/18th June
- Outdoor Production (The Comedy of Errors) @ Dearnford Lake - 21st June
- Shrewsbury Food Festival - 24th/25th June
- Shropshire Family Vintage Show @ Shrewsbury Showground - 1st/2nd July
- Llangollen Eisteddfod - 3rd to 9th July
- Transport Rally @ British Ironwork Centre - 15th July
- Oswestry Food & Drink Festival - 15th/16th July
- Wem Annual Sweet Pea Show - 15th/16th July
- Multi-Period Event @ Whittington Castle - 29th/30th July
- Burwarton Show - 3rd August
- Oswestry Show - 5th August
- A Day Out with Thomas on Llangollen Railway - 10th to 13th August
- Shrewsbury Flower Show - 11th/12th August
- Outdoor Production (The Wind in the Willows) @ Dearnford Lake - 20th August
- Shrewsbury Folk Festival - 25th to 28th August
- Hot Air Balloon Festival @ British Ironwork Centre - 26th/27th August
- Vintage Fair @ Whittington Castle - 28th August
- Ludlow Food Festival - 8th/9th/10th September
- Antiques & Collectors Fair @ Oswestry Showground - 9th/10th September
- Malpas Yesteryear Rally - 9th/10th September
- Shropshire Truck Show @ Oswestry Showground - 23rd/24th September
- Llangollen Food Festival - 14th/15th October
- A Day Out with Thomas - Llangollen Railway - 21st/22nd October
- Bonfire & Fireworks @ Dearnford Lakes - 4th November