Within easy driving distance of Fernwood are the shopping centres of Shrewsbury and Chester, where modern malls and a full range of high street shops rub shoulders with an unusual collection of antique, craft and second-hand book shops - hunt out a bargain to take back home.
Shrewsbury is a Britain in Bloom winner and lives up to its "Town of Flowers" title with an annual Flower Show held in Shrewsbury's Dingle in August.
There are many glorious gardens close by, be they grand, formal, intimate or unusual. Among them, Wollerton Old Hall Garden, Market Drayton. A stunning 4 acre garden, the range of plants is very wide resulting in significant collections of clematis, salvias, phlox and roses. With a tea room and plant nursery on site, a whole day can be spent exploring these beautiful gardens.
National Trust properties Chirk Castle, Powys. Completed in 1310, Chirk is the last Welsh castle from the reign of Edward I still lived in today. Features from its 700 years include the medieval tower and dungeon, 17th-century Long Gallery, grand 18th-century state apartments, servants' hall and historic laundry. With award winning gardens.
The town of Ellesmere has a variety of antique and gift shops, and traditional inns. Regular antique markets and festivals are held throughout the year.
The mere at Ellesmere is the largest of the nine meres. These lakes are a focus for a variety of pastimes and have been designated Sites of Special Scientific Interest. They are ideal for bird watching. On the mere island at Ellesmere is a heronry. The mere attracts a great wealth of birdlife ranging from tiny goldcrests flitting through the tree branches to magnificent mute swans gliding gracefully across the water.
A relaxing way of enjoying the countryside is from a canal narrowboat which can be hired from several points along the canal system. Within walking distance is the delightful Shropshire Union Canal - the surviving evidence of Shropshire's industrial heritage - just watching the boats pass by is almost as relaxing as being on one.
Local Events 2018
- Plant Hunters Fair @ Whittington Castle - 30th March
- A Day Out with Thomas on Llangollen Railway - 6th to 8th April
- Antiques & Collectors Fair @ Oswestry Showground - 7th to 8th April
- Bus Types VW Show @ Oswestry Showground - 13th to 15th April
- Cadbury Easter Trail @ Chirk Castle - 30th March to 2nd April
- Shrewsbury Cartoon Festival @ The Square - 21st April
- Welshampton Passion for Plants - 7th May
- Shropshire County Agricultural Show @ Shrewsbury Showground - 26th May
- Outdoor Production (Shakespeares 'The Winter's Tale') @Whittington Castle - 27th May
- Derwen Summer Feter - 31st May
- Knights & Princesses Weekend @ Chirk Castle - 2nd to 3rd June
- Antiques & Collectors Fair @ Oswestry Showground - 9th to 10th June
- RAF Cosford Air Show - 10th June
- Shrewsbury Carnival - 16th June
- Ellesmere Food & Drink Festival - 16th to 17th June
- Vintage Vehicle, Machinery Rally & Craft Show, Oswestry - 16th to 17th June
- Shrewsbury Food Festival - 23rd to 24th June
- Shropshire Family Vintage Show @ Shrewsbury Showground - 30th June to 1st July
- Llangollen Eisteddford - 3rd to 8th July
- Let's Rock Shrewsbury @ The Quarry - 14th July
- Transport Rally @ British Ironwork Centre - 15th July
- Oswestry Food & Drink Fesitval - 14th to 15th July
- Wem Annual Sweet Pea Show - 21st to 22nd July
- Multi-period Event @ Whittington Castle - 28th to 29th July
- Outdoor Production (Peter Pan) @ Alderford Lake - 29th July
- Burwarton Show - 2nd August
- Oswestry Show - 4th August
- Shrewsbury Flower Show - 10th to 11th August
- A Day out with Thomas on Llangollen Railway - 10th to 12th August
- Shrewsbury Folk Festival - 24th to 27th August
- Shrewsbury Steam Rally @ Onslow Park - 26th to 27th August
- Hot Air Balloon Festival @ British Ironwork Centre - 26th to 28th August
- Ludlow Food Festival - 7th to 9th September
- Malpas Yesteryear Rally - 8th to 9th September
- Llangollen Food Festival - 13th to 14th October
- A Day Out with Thomas on Llangollen Railway - 25th to 27th October
- Bonfire & Fireworks @ Alderford Lake - 3rd November